- Serves: 4 people
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Dish Category: Main Course
Punjabi meal is incomplete without a dish of "Rajma
Masala" with its rich, burgundy hue. In North Indian vegetarian households, robust and flavourful Rajma Masala is often the centrepiece, replacing meat. Eaten with rice which is popularly known as "Rajma Chawal".
- 225g cooked rajma (kidney beans)
(Soak 100g rajma over night)
- 1 large / 75 g onion chopped
- 2 small / 125 g tomato chopped
- Entire packet of Suhana Rajma Masala (50g)
- 2 ½ cups / 500 ml water
- 3 tbsp oil
For garnish: 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Make a paste of Suhana Rajma Masala with 100ml of water and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil, add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes or till pinkish brown. Add tomatoes and sauté for another 2-3 minutes till cooked. Make a fine paste of this mixture.
- Heat remaining oil, add paste of onion and tomatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes or till the oil oozes out. Add above paste, rajma and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining water and cook for 8-10 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, and serve hot with cumin pilaf.
Chef's Tip: You can also use tomato puree and onion puree instead of chopped.